- Published on 14 November 2013
In the early 80's, Kenya was invited to bid for the all African games, which were to be held towards the end of that decade. Like any other African Nations, Kenya submitted and won the bid to host the 4th All African Games in 1987.
In preparation for the games, Kenya entered into a bilateral agreement with the Chinese government to build a sports complex which would be used to host these prestigious games. The proposed plan was to build a stadium of international standard, perhaps one of the best on the African continent. It was with this undertaking that 1987, saw the official opening of a 60,000 capacity stadium in time to host one of the largest events held in this country the 4th All African Games.
The complex was completed In 1987, and hosted the 4th All African Games in august of the same year, an event that filled the stadium to capacity.
Prior to this, athletics practice sessions were held at the Coca-Cola National Stadium, which was built in the early 1980's.
Located about 15 km from the city centre along Thika road, this complex provides our clients with an opportunity to do their business out the hustles and bustles of town. Facilities at MISC Kasarani include:
i) The Stadion Hotel
The Stadion has the following facilities offered at competitive rates to our clients
• Accommodation with 108 rooms equipped with TVs and telephones
• 200 seater restaurant and 60 seater adjacent grillroom
• Sports bar
• 400 seater multipurpose ballroom
• Business Centre with cyber café
• Seminar rooms with secretariat
• Gift shop
• Luxurious swimming pool (free of charge to residents)
• Poolside bar
ii) Safaricom Stadium, Kasarani
The Stadium has a capacity of 60,000 seated persons, with VIP lounges and hospitality suites. The facilities are equipped with modern Changing Rooms, Restaurants, Mini-shops, press/media areas and offices. There are internet connections and a h ot spot installed in strategic positions. It also has 6 conference rooms at Kasarani Grand Stadium each with a capacity of 60 pax
iii) Safaricom Indoor Arena
A state of the art Indoor Arena at Kasarani with a capacity of 5000pax, a very ideal venue for AGMS, corporate sporting and team building activities . The Indoor Arena also has presidential suites, snack bar, and a restaurant, a typical setting for exclusive corporate use for business presentations, product launches and other business meetings in idyllic and peaceful surroundings.
iv) Kasarani Aquatic Stadium
The facility has:
• One Baby Pool; 1.25m Warm-up or training pool; 1.5m Competition (Olympic size).
• Pool and Diving Pool with 3 springboards and up to 10m diving platform.
• One recreational seminar room with 30 pax capacity and a VIP Lounge.
• Our pools are clean and properly treated.
• We have ample and secure car park and also provide catering services at request at our poolside Cafeteria.